Oxton vs Deeside

Oxton Men’s 1s 5
  • Ali McKenzie (2)
  • Neil Worral (1)
  • Mark Worrall (1)
  • Callum McDougall (1)
Deeside 5

Oxton men’s made their North Conference National league debut against local rivals Deeside Ramblers in glorious conditions. The game started at a blistering pace, with both sides having equal chances, but it was Oxton who opened the scoring with a low powerful dragflick from Ali McKenzie on 7 minutes. With Oxton on the front foot, opportunities came thick and fast, although there were some simple errors from the Wirral outfit, giving the home side opportunities to level up. Within 4 minutes Deeside levelled through a short corner from Ali Ghazanfar. The game continued at the blistering pace it started with, both teams having chances to put their side ahead. Eventually, Oxton skipper Neil Worral scored a well-worked team goal to put the visitors in front in the 26th minute. Although this did not last long before the home side leveled the scoring again two minutes later via a reverse stick effort from Tommy Hill. Both teams went into the half time having plenty of chances to arguably put the game to bed, however, Oxton will feel they had the better openings.

After both teams refuelled, the game restarted at the same pace as before the break. Deeside took the lead for the first time with Ghazanfar scoring his second of the day with a short corner in the 44th minute. Only minutes later however Oxton won a short corner of their own, which was cleverly turned in by Mark Worrall off the keeper. The home side took advantage of their opportunities in the D with another two short corners dispatched, despite Oxton’s best efforts, Ghazanfar completing his hat-trick with Warwick Ryan-Beswick bagging the fifth from close range. Oxton didn’t give up though despite being 5-3 down with just four minutes to go and Callum McDougall gave them hope with a fantastic backhand finish from a tight angle. Oxton were now pressing hard in the last 2 minutes and created one final chance after winning a short corner. McKenzie duly fired home a low powerful dragflick into the keeper’s bottom corner for his second of the game. The final whistle eventually blew on what was an incredible game of hockey. The team were very grateful for all the travelling support.

Next up is a rare Saturday home fixture against last season’s runners up Bowdon, a 2:30pm start. All support is welcome and hugely appreciated.